Grand Bend, ON – Grand Bend Area Community Health Centre CEO, Cate Melito, is advising the public that community programs at the GBACHC will be suspended for the time being to support physical distancing. Medical and social work appointments continue by phone. Patients and clients who have an appointment and need to be seen by a health professional will be screened for COVID-19 symptoms in the foyers of both the Grand Bend and Hensall sites prior to entry into the facilities.
These measures have been taken in order to slow the spread of the COVID-19 virus and are in line with the latest advice from public health agencies. The GBACHC will continue to follow the directions from public health as the COVID-19 pandemic progresses.
All international travelers are now ordered to start their 14-day self-isolation period as soon as they have crossed the border. This means: do not stop anywhere (Walmart, grocery or liquor store etc.) before going home. If you need groceries or supplies when you get home, please join the Grand Bend Pandemic Support Group or contact them at 519-238-1725 or firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange an order and a drop off. The group is comprised of community volunteers who are ready and willing to help.
Wondering if you have COVID-19? Go to the NEW COVID-19 Self-Assessment Tool. If the online tool tells you to seek clinical assessment, please contact us for a phone assessment. It is important that you do not visit the Centre without calling first.
Any Grand Bend area resident who is concerned about their health can connect with one of the Centre’s practitioners for a virtual appointment. Please call the Grand Bend site at 519-238-2362 or the Hensall site at 519-262-3140 before going to either location in person.
The Saturday walk-in clinic (9-11:30am) at the Grand Bend site will remain open. All people arriving for care will be screened for the COVID-19 symptoms in the foyer.
The GBACHC thanks the community for their patience and cooperation in this unprecedented time. Please visit the GBACHC website and click on the link in the blue banner at the top page for the Centre’s most update information. Below is the latest information for travellers and advice for everyone to stay healthy.
Be sure to practice universal health protocols including:
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds (think Happy Birthday). See the World Health Organization hand-washing techique video.
- Cough and sneeze into your sleeve or tissue and discard the tissue.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth especially with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact (2m) with people who are sick.
- Stay at home if you are sick (fever, cough, difficulty breathing etc.) – do not visit a long-term care facility, retirement home or congregate dining situation.
- Learn how to self-monitor for COVID-19 symptoms.
- Are you a caregiver? Learn how to keep yourself safe HERE.
COVID-19 and Travelers Returning to the Grand Bend Area
- If you are returning home to Canada, you must self isolate for 14 days even if you are not symptomatic – see the How to Self Isolate fact sheet.
- If you live in the same home as a traveler who has just returned to Canada, you must also self-isolate for 14 days.