Protecting Personal Health Information
Protecting Personal Health Information is important to the GBACHC. Learn more in the brochure below, which was developed by the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario.
Further, the GBACHC follows the Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004 (PHIPA) and the organization’s privacy statement aligns with the privacy practices recommended by the Alliance For Healthier Communities.
Personal Health Information Collection
The Grand Bend Area Community Health Centre (GBACHC) is a Health Information Custodian (HIC) as defined by the Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA). Personal Health Information collected directly from patients/clients or from their substitute decision maker is stored in an electronic medical record in accordance with PHIPA.
Information collected includes:
- Date of birth
- Health card number
- Health history
- Visit records, including care received
Occasionally, information about you is collected from other sources, if permitted by law. Such other sources could include hospitals, clinic and specialists.
Personal Health Information Uses & Disclosures
The GBACHC may use and disclose Personal Health Information to do the following:
- Treat and care for patients-clients alongside the health care providers who are involved in care, including hospitals, doctors, nurses, nurse practitioners, social workers, and specialists
- Enable participation in GBACHC programs and services
- Receive payment for treatment and care from funding agencies, including OHIP, WSIB, and private insurers
- Inform funding agencies including Ontario Health West and the Ministry of Health for health system management purposes
- Guide the planning and administration of GBACHC services and operations
- Conduct quality improvement activities
- Ensure the GBACHC complies with legal and regulatory requirements
- Conduct research
- Fulfill other purposes permitted or required by law e.g., infectious disease reporting to public health agencies
Patients/Clients may request access to correct Personal Health Information or withdraw consent for certain uses and disclosures by contacting the GBACHC privacy officer, Chris Harris at 519-238-2362 x283 or email@example.com. Withdrawal of consent may be subject to legal exceptions.
For any privacy and security questions or requests related to ConnectingOntario or eHealth Ontario contact: 1-866-250-1554.
Safeguarding Personal Health Information
- The GBACHC takes steps to protect Personal Health Information (PHI) from theft, loss and unauthorized access, copying, modification, use, disclosure and disposal
- Audits and investigations are conducted to monitor and manage privacy compliance and to ensure PHI is secure
- Steps are taken to ensure that those who perform services for the GBACHC protect patient/client privacy and only use PHI for the purposes for which consent has been provided